One Stop Update For the Accountant in the Public Sector
Essential updates to help public sector accountants deliver the best
3 - 4 Aug 2020Te Wharewaka O Poneke, Wellington
This presentation will discuss key growth sectors, labour markets, monetary and fiscal policy along with some challenges and risks for the rest of 2020 and beyond.
- The composition of the NZ economy and sectoral contributions to GDP
- Risk and opportunities in the current market environment
- Update on the labour market, wages, inflation and unemployment
- Monetary policy update and implications for policy from the impact of Coronavirus
- Fiscal policy and Government role under a recessionary cloud
- Capability transformation for accounting departments within government
- Updates on automation, AI and digital processes
- Maturity in direction, operating model, people, customer, infrastructure and data
- The direction of government finance IT approaches
- Results of studies of Wellbeing for Future Generations Act in Wales
- Why we need stronger wellbeing measurements in the Living Standards Framework
- What types of wellbeing are we seeing incorporated by government agencies?
- Integrating wellbeing into reporting
- Understanding how updates on financial reporting can help prevent and detect corruption
- A look at the role of internal audit committees
- Measuring the impact of government on living standards
- Evaluating the growing demand and costs connected with government services and social care provision post Covid-19 outbreak
- Assessing Local Government's response to additional liquidty, at the same time not over-extend their financial positions
- The integrated reporting story in New Zealand and its impact so far on various public sector entities
- Integrated reporting and integrated thinking: Is it a symbiotic relationship and what should come first?
- Integrated reporting and statements of service performance: Variations on theme or something quite different
- Lessons learnt from offshore: Some surprising research outcomes to be mindful of
This session will cover how organisations can embrace the transformation opportunities that converged technologies bring: Faster, cheaper, and much more effective for your people.
- Using a strategic communication plan to manage upwards
- Responding supportively in times of stress and uncertainty
- Maintaining cohesive, high-performing teams with a mix of office and home based staff
- What does strong public sector leadership look like
- How can we prepare the next generation of accountants for the demands of a modern workforce
- Recently issued accounting standards impacting public benefit entities (PBEs)
- The IPSASB’s exposure drafts on revenue and non-exchange expenses
- Other public sector accounting standards in development
- The implications of climate change related financial risk for local government entities
- How climate change can impact on the funding of local government initiatives
- Clarification of risk reporting under the Zero Carbon Bill
Wendy McGuinness, CEO, McGuinness Institute
- Where is public financial management reform headed?
- How can the needs of citizens best be met?
- Reporting in a more comprehensive and integrated manner
Updates on hot topics including:
o Domestic violence leave
o Parental leave
o Privacy legislation
o Trial periods
Developments in privacy and employment including:
o Covert recording
o Facial scanning
o Corona Virus – employee and employers rights
- Creating appropriation structures that are meaningful, efficient to administer and reduces risk
- Clearly telling your organisation’s performance story and contribution to the living standards
- Understanding the link between appropriations and strategy
- Update on Microsoft Excel tools, tips and tricks enabling better public finance management in 2020
- Which digital tools are incoming, and what you should know about them
Understand what’s distinctive about your profession, how to best mitigate the impacts of COVID and take away tips and tools so you can manage change successfully.
- Defining and building skills in resilience
- Building resilience for COVID and change agility
- Developing tactical calm
- Exploring recent changes to GST
- Analysing the impact of recent changes to employment taxes and allowances
- What’s next on the tax reform agenda?
- Updates on other proposed reforms