Lab Innovation & Excellence (Labs) 2019
The Francis Crick Institute was awarded the 2017 Laboratory Award of the year recognising and commending their lab design. In this session, Nick Carter, will discuss the approach taken to design their innovative laboratory.
- Encouraging a highly collaborative environment within the lab – how did The Francis Crick Institute achieve this
- Showcasing the role technologies play in the design
Nick Carter will be joining us live from the UK and delivering a video presentation
- Understanding where New Zealand’s science industry sits globally
- Fostering New Zealand’s potential for innovation within the science industry
- Highlighting the trends that is shaping New Zealand’s science industry
- Enabling greater engagement between the research and labs industries
The University of Auckland Science building reconstruction has been increasingly recognised in recent times. Encouraging collaboration within and between user groups was an important aspect of the design intent for this building. In this respect, consideration of the connections between working spaces and the shared spaces around them is perhaps more important than the features provided within the research spaces themselves.
James Mooney, Principal, Architectus
- Shedding insight into the innovation opportunities available in New Zealand’s laboratory industry
- Understanding the link between innovation and research and development
- How is innovation driving the growth of New Zealand’s laboratory industry?
This session follows on from the morning’s topics putting forward thought leaders to continue the discussion on research, innovation, technology and sustainability within the laboratory industry in New Zealand.
- Increasing workload and centralisation meant the existing system was no longer suitable - how to best accommodate the changing work environment? Planning the processes and tasks that require automation
- Implementation and workflow logistics are never quite as you expect. How to refine and develop the new work environment?
- There is always something new on the horizon. Keeping an open mind, seek the best, and embrace change
- Gas supply option developments – from high pressure cylinders to micro-bulk
- Accreditation evolution – from ISO9001 to ISO Guide 34:2016
- Gas supply automation – from reactive alarms to predictive gas management
- Progressive digitalisation – from the on/off control valve to the smartphone ‘Apps’ of today
- Mega-trends shaping the future – safety, space, staff, speed, stock, surity & simplicity
Stephen will be joining us live from Germany via video link
Rapid prototyping of complex miniature devices and a unique new technology to 3D print the very small!
- The critical first step for meaningful process improvements
- Strategies to enable improvements specifically in labs
- How our scientific minds enable misguided and common errors to embedding an improvement culture
- Better measures that drive the right behaviours, throughout our processes
- Understanding how to apply part 18 of the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017 in your lab
- Highlighting what the laboratories are struggling with and solutions to overcome these
- Key takeaways that can be implemented in laboratories immediately
- Understanding water quality standards
- Determining impurities that matter to your lab and how to remove them
- Efficient water purification design for your lab’s needs
- Understanding the standards development process
- New Zealand involvement in the process
- Testing or calibration laboratories versus medical laboratories
- Laboratory risk, including human factors: its assessment and management
- Overview of why it is critical not to overlook ‘basic’ and assumed experimental technique
- Helping technicians understand the importance of liquid handling
- An in-depth look into ISO 8655 – what do you need to know?
- Implementing methods to improve liquid handling skills in the lab
- Championing a well-being program to advocate for lab professionals’ health – how is Fisher & Paykel Healthcare achieving this?
- Highlighting improvements in efficiencies and delivery of tasks