Floods, Slips and Coastal Erosion Management Conference
A national dialogue on proactive strategies to manage the impact of floods, slips and coastal erosion
12 - 13 Feb 2018Te Wharewaka Tapere, Wellington
COASTAL EROSION MITIGATIONS14 February 2018 | 9.00am - 12.30pm
Rising sea levels have led to water encroaching further onto land in coastal areas and a need for councils to consider measures to mitigate this. However, residents can be sensitive about the best use for coastal land near their properties.
In this workshop delegates will learn about how to manage the consultation process for coastal erosion mitigation as well as how to decide which engineering solution is best for them.
- Exploring the right strategy to mitigate coastal erosion for each situation - soft (i.e. planting) or hard engineering (i.e. shoreline armouring)
- Discussing requirements under RMA to preserve “natural character”
- Examining attendant’s specific infrastructure concerns
- Navigating community consultation and resistance for a positive outcome
- Case studies of successful coastal erosion mitigation
- Exploring construction techniques in unstable areas