9th Annual Elder Law for the Health Sector Conference
Addressing key legal and ethical challenges to support the best interests and wellbeing of the ageing population
Performing Capacity Assessments on Older Patients23 February 2017 | 8.00am - 3.45pm
Returning for its third consecutive year, this popular post-conference workshop will provide you with everything you need to know about capacity assessments and the surrounding ethical and legal frameworks that go alongside it.
The presenters will demonstrate their recently released “Toolkit for Assessing Capacity” - a clinical and legal guidance for health practitioners undertaking capacity assessments in a wide range of situations, particularly with older adults with dementia.
In this workshop, you will learn about:
· What constitutes capacity in older patients
· The factors that affect capacity
· Clinical assessment of capacity and related issues
· The different tests required for matters pertaining to legal, health and financial areas
· Supporting and working with those who have partial capacity
· Acting in the absence of an EPA
· Activating an EPA when capacity is partial or lost
· Testamentary capacity