31st Annual Industrial & Employment Relations (IER) Summit
The latest legal developments to help you protect your organisation
14 - 15 Mar 2017Crowne Plaza, Auckland
Workshop One: Conducting A "Sufficient" Investigation13 March 2017 | 9.00am - 12.30pm
Investigations represent an opportunity to ensure a fair process and increase the chances of a justified dismissal, but only if they are done correctly. This workshop will give you practical lessons on how to conduct a proper and thorough investigation and how to avoid making a costly mistake during the process.
- What constitutes a “sufficient investigation” in the eyes of the courts?
- Whether to conduct an internal investigation or to use someone external
- How to brief out an external investigation
- A step by step guide to putting together an internal investigation, including developing questioning skills and conducting interviews
- Developing questioning skills and conducting interviews
- Responding to conflicting information and misleading answers
- Managing the rights and expectations of all parties involved
- Lessons to be learned from recent case law - where have employers gone wrong with employee investigations?
Workshop Two: Collective Negotiations Masterclass13 March 2017 | 1.30pm - 5.00pm
The collective bargaining process is fraught with difficulty and risk and when negotiations fall through the consequences on an organisation are immense. This workshop will give delegates the practical tools to ensure a successful bargaining process and support a productive dialogue during negotiation.
- Looking at the importance of the bargaining process
- Delving into the idea of “good faith” and what is required to be reasonable
- Discussing essential negotiation skills for the bargaining process
- Providing an overview of wage increase rates and linking pay to specific performance targets
- Techniques to avoid a stalemate situation
- Explaining tips and tricks for handling difficult negotiations
- Reaching beneficial conclusions and finalising agreements
- Surviving strikes and lockouts
Workshop Three: Holidays Act Intensive16 March 2017 | 9.00am - 4.30pm
Confusion over the Holidays Act has become clear in the past year after underpayment has been discovered in several large organisations. This practical workshop will help participants gain a greater understanding of their obligations under the Holidays Act 2003 and avoiding making mistakes with Holiday’s Act entitlements.
- Providing a step by step guide for calculating Holidays Act pay entitlements
- Looking at the process to follow for an office shut down period
- Understanding annual leave entitlements for workers with variable hours
- Cashing in Annual Leave entitlements – tax obligations, public holidays and employee protections
- Delving into payroll documentation and information storage
- Understanding the process for transference of public holidays
- Discussing your common “pain points” in the Holidays Act and solutions
- Explaining what went wrong in payroll miscalculations in 2016
- Calculating pay entitlements for employees with variable hours or overtime
- Understanding what changes your company needs to make to ensure compliance with the act