2018 New Zealand Business Analyst Forum
Keeping up with the trends and growing as a Business Analyst
Find out how technology (modern and disruptive) is revolutionising the Business Analyst’s role.
- Exploring how new technological trends are shaping the way a Business Analyst approaches a project
- Understanding the role a Business Analyst plays in implementing modern and disruptive technology
- How is the Business Analyst role evolving as a result of new technology?
Melanie Visser, RPA Consultant, Quanton
What makes a high performing BA for the C-level suite (hint: delivering maximum value for the business whilst minimising the rework and as a result, costs).
This address outlines ways the BA adds value to the organisation from a CIO perspective
In an era of constant technological change, when business is never as usual, there is a need to shift to a modern increasingly efficient methods to business analysis. This session will discuss the lean business analysis approach.
- Addressing the need to shift to a lean business analysis approach
- Understanding the core lean business analysis value to be able to deliver the right solution at the right time
Jesse Stegmann, Service Lead - Agile, Assurity Consulting
- Distinguishing between the roles and approach to projects
- Discussing tips and tricks on best tools and techniques
- Understanding how value is added in the different roles
Ambili Somervell, Business Consultant, energyclubnz
Julie Lindenberg, Director, Business Analysis & Technical Communications & User Experience, Fiserv
- How process mapping helped a government agency overcome major operational difficulties
- The role of process mapping in facilitating problem-resolution and decision-making in a divided organisation
- How process mapping contributed to the development of consistent policies, processes and procedures
- The bigger picture: How a 6-week project sprouted legs and became a 6-year continuous improvement initiative
- What was the strategy behind the transformation?
- How we approached the scope and elicitation to bring the project to life?
- What were the tools and methodologists employed during the process?
At the core of the BA role is facilitating change so that organisations can grow and adapt. The media industry
is going through huge transformation and this case
study analyses the role of the BA working in a rapid change environment:
- Strategies to keep pace with technological change and global trends
- How to approach process improvement with a short and longer-term industry view point
- Insights into successful change projects in the media industry and tips for other BA’s working in a rapid change environment
Andrew Willoughby, Transition Manager, Health Alliance; formerly BA Manager/acting PMO manager & NZME
Elly Bhatia, Head of Enterprise Conduct, Bank of New Zealand; formerly Senior Consultant APN News & Media
Human-centred design is on the next level to a design thinking approach. The focus changes from a product to the end users of the project – humans. Dan Thurston will discuss effective approach in design thinking within Agile methodologies and its role in strategy and execution.
- Understanding a human-centred design approach
- Exploring the value chain flow in a human-centred design approach
- Highlighting the benefits of a human-centred design approach
Auckland Council and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment recently engaged in a project to address tenancy issues in South Auckland. This case study will discuss how a design-based approach was taken to improve rental experiences for both tenants and landlords.
- A look at how design thinking was incorporated in this project to achieve a desirable solution
- Understanding how a solution was derived by using a human centred approach in resolving the issue
- Applying critical thinking to achieve more with Agile
- Addressing challenges with Agile and solutions to overcome those
- Setting an Agile mind-set
- Learning to apply BA knowledge and skills across other roles to ease with transition
- Gaining insight from experts on effective career pathways
Ambili Somervell, Business Consultant, energyclubnz
Celia Ryan, Senior Business Analyst, Anakoha Ltd
Gain insight into best tools to ensure all stakeholder needs are communicated and achieved in a project.
- Applying effective communication tools when engaging with stakeholders
- Learning how to deal with difficult stakeholders and how to achieve the best result
- Getting the message across with clarity while remaining succinct and concise
Data modelling is a popular business analysis technique as it ensures data requirements and business rules are accurately captured & modelled in a data driven project.
This session will discuss the role of data modelling in the context of data migration projects, in particular:
- Understanding the role data modelling plays during the requirements analysis process
- Outlining examples of data issues and constraints when engaged in a data driven project
- Delving into effective methods of data modelling whilst scoping the migration requirements
- Highlighting suitable solutions are reached to address known issues using data modelling
Tammy-Lynn Jones, Lead Business Analyst, DATACOM
Minimum viable product (MVP) in Agile project management, the most valuable solution that will work for the users. This session will discuss the role MVP plays in Agile project management.
- Understanding the MVP approach in Agile project management
- Establishing MVP
- Evaluating information gathered in MVP