Conversations are part and parcel of everyday living, but there is a lot more to them in work situations. Quite often, we know what we should do in a situation. But knowing how to conduct the conversation can be tricky and challenging.
Recent research of organisations that were performing well found that one important element of performance success was the giving of fair, accurate, informal feedback.
Effective Performance Conversation helps you address performance issues, improve relationships, save time and effort whilst gaining more confidence in conversation delivery. A hands-on and practical course, you will explore the reasons why some conversations are difficult to initiate and how to turn these challenging conversations into productive interactions.
Key Learning Outcomes
• Be able to confidently approach difficult performance conversations
• Learn to deliver tough performance feedback
• Apply positive and corrective feedback mechanisms to formal and informal conversations
• Effectively address sensitive issues at the workplace
• Prepare for a confrontational conversation
Master the 6Rs of performance conversations
• Learn the core principles that should be applied to any performance conversation
• Discover why applying these is more likely to maintain a good working relationship
• Use these to feel more comfortable about having a tough performance conversation and why they help to prevent conflict occurring
Giving positive feedback
• Understand the research behind giving effective positive feedback that reinforces and drives behaviour you want more of
• Use a simple tool to make sure feedback is effective
• Understand and apply the difference between feedback and critique
Giving improvement feedback
• Establish clarity, objectives and expectations
• Apply the key communications tools that allow you to stay in control of the conversation whilst building rapport
• Understand how to use a coaching conversation to drive performance improvement
• Understand the techniques that drive ownership, accountability and gain agreement
• Learn how to manage particular behaviours that can derail giving improvement feedback
• Assess your conversational style preferences and learn how to flex them for maximium effect
The conflict conversation
• Learn how to prevent a conflict conversation occurring
• Understand the difference between ‘conflict’ and healthy debate
• Managing resistance, push back and defensiveness
• Understand the difference between avoidance, aggression and assertion
• Applying understanding of the brain, understand why confrontation is the
weakest link in performance excellence
• Manoeuvre out of fuzzy and inconclusive confrontation conversation
Master facilitator, high calibre industry recognised trainer, and people and culture capability consultant, Penny Holden brings 20 years real business and workplace experience, expertise and knowledge. With an extensive background in behavioural sciences, psychology, education and organisational development and people capability, she applies this in simple and effective ways to her workshops and projects. Penny is particularly recognised for her ability to work with anyone at any level with respect and robust appropriate learning methods.
Penny has worked in most industries and at all levels from boards, CEOs, executives, and leadership teams, through to front-line people, across all demographics and the complete mix of generations in today’s workplaces. She has proven success with blue collar workers, highly male environments such as manufacturing and those in technical roles. Penny has also operated in all sectors - private, corporate, public and NGOs in the UK, Australasia and New Zealand. Some example organisations include: Qantas, BNZ, IAG, AirNZ, CokeNZ, Contact Energy, Action Manufacturing, Mobil, Crombie Lockwood, STAtravel, VIVO hair and Universities throughout NZ.
Penny brings the most business-appropriate, up-to-date, robust content together with an inspiring, interactive, fun and challenging approach. Participants say she makes it ‘real’ for them, demands they be the best they can be as a person at work, yet feel completely respected and able to tackle individuals ‘blocks’ to high performance. She is passionate about results beyond the workshop and transfer to the workplace. That’s where real success lies. Programme expertise includes leadership and management training, and developing people capability and organisational effectiveness at all levels.
What Clients Say
"We need someone who understands how these people think, can make it easy for them to learn and get beyond fears, habits and resistance. They have to buy into their roles as leaders and the risks of not doing this."
"Penny can take the toughest critic or non-believer and find a way to reach them on an individual level and get them to ‘step-up’ to the challenge she is trying to facilitate them through."